8.790, All: LINGUIST Development Fund

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 27 17:51:31 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-790. Tue May 27 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.790, All: LINGUIST Development Fund

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 27 May 1997 13:44:25 -0400
From:  The LINGUIST List <linguist at linguistlist.org>
Subject:  LINGUIST Development Fund

Date:  Tue, 27 May 1997 13:44:25 -0400
From:  The LINGUIST List <linguist at linguistlist.org>

Dear Subscribers,

We would like to thank the persons and institutions listed below for
their generous contributions to the LINGUIST List.

As you know, we have been extremely fortunate this year in attracting
the support of the Linguistic Data Consortium, which will shortly
begin to host our listserv operations, and in winning a grant from the
National Science Foundation to support software development for our
web site.  Because of this, we've been able to make many improvements
in our website and in LINGUIST operations, e.g., LingLite, web search
of back issues, dissertation abstract collection, the online
conference, address search, topics pages, and Ask-A-Linguist. And
you'll see more improvements this summer, as a number of longterm
software projects come to completion.

But we need to remind you that the day to day operations of LINGUIST
are still supported almost entirely by subscriber donations: it is
contributions to the LINGUIST Development Fund that pay our student
editors.  And as LINGUIST grows it becomes ever more important that we
attract and keep good editors.  As many of you know from personal
experience, the more useful the website, the more maintenance it
requires.

We've been extremely fortunate for the past 3 years to have student
editors with the skills and interest to develop LINGUIST, not simply
keep it going. We are--sadly--losing all 3 of our outstanding student
editors this summer.  However, we do have a promising crew ready to
take over in the fall.  And, thanks to your generosity, this year for
the first time we should be able to pay them the standard
rate for graduate assistants at our universities.  This is an
important change for us, and one we want to perpetuate.  So, at the
same time as we extend our heartiest thanks to the contributors listed
below, we ask that you continue to donate to the LINGUIST Editorial
Support Fund.  Please send your contributions to:

LINGUIST Editorial Support Fund
c/o Helen Aristar Dry
Dept. of English
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

The Eastern Michigan University Development Office is now helping with
the administration of the LINGUIST Fund; so those of you who
contribute from now on will receive a written receipt from the EMU
Foundation, as well as an email response from LINGUIST.  You will also
be able to contribute by credit card:  to do this, you should send your
credit card number, the expiration date, and the amount you wish to
contribute to the address above.

Again, we want to emphasize that LINGUIST exists only through the
support of subscribers.  We therefore owe a great deal to the
persons listed below.

Helen, Anthony, Daniel
LINGUIST Moderators

1997 Contributors

Valued Supporters ($50 and under)

Anonymous
Galina Alexandrova
Lloyd Anderson (Ecological Linguistics)
Paula Baird
Robert Beard
Mayrine Bentley
Cassian Braconnier
Joaquim Brandao de Carvalho
Carsten Breul
Deborah Brownstein
R. Joe Campbell
Linda Coleman
Dorothy Disterheft
Jean-Louis Duchet
Suzette Haden Elgin
David Eddington
Luisanna Fodde
Feride Erku
Dominique Estival
Louanna Furbee
Judith Fuller
Elly van Gelderen
Keith Goeringer
Claire Gronemeyer
Alan Harris
Fritz Heberlein
Suzanne Hilgendorf
Caitlin Hines
David Holt
Elizabeth Hughes
Bernhard Hurch
Frances Ingemann
Martha Islas
Marion Kee
Andrew Kehler
Jong-Mi Kim
Carolyn Kirkpatrick
John Koontz
Knud Lambrecht
Young-H Lee
Judith Levi
Joan Levinson
Virginia Locastro
Fernando Martinez-Gil
Ana Maria Martins
Bart Mathias
Madeline M. Maxwell
Scott McGinnis
Sue Medeiros
Anita Mittwoch
Simon Musgrave
Michael Newman
Lynn Nichols
Richard Oehrle
Fernando Ordonez
Burton Rosner
Lynn Santelmann
Mary Schleppegrell
Andreas Schramm
Klaus Schubert
Carol Myers Scotton
Antonio R. M. Simoes
Susan Steele
Roland Sussex
Jan-Olof Svantesson
Robert L. Trammell
U. OF MICHIGAN LINGUISTICS DEPT.
Jeff von Munkwitz-Smith
Joerg Wagner
Frank Wijnen

Patrons ($50 or more):

Anonymous
Anders Ahlqvist
Belinda Bicknell & Gary Witus
Wayles  Brown
CASCADILLA PRESS
Donna Christian
Billy Clark
Bernard Comrie
Hortensia Curell
Mary Dalrymple
Douglas L. Dee
Stanley Dubinsky
DEPT. OF LINGUISTICS, UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM
William Edmondson
Dan Everett
Julia Falk
Joseph Foster
Donald Freeman
Nancy Frishberg
Kazuhiko Fukushima
Richard Hudson
Barbara Herrarte
Michael Hess
Roderick Jacobs
Dora Johnson
Ioanna Kappa
Hans Kronning
LINGUISTIQUE AFRICAINE (via Cassian Braconnier)
Ernest McCarus
Jerry McMenamin
Geoff Nathan
Barbara Pearson
Ingo Plag
Linda Stump Rashidi
Robert Ratcliffe
Ann Reboul
RECHERCHES LINGUISTIQUES DE VINCENNES
Lisa Reed
Nikolaus Ritt
Charles Scott
Ute Smit
Ronnie Wilbur

Mainstays ($100 or more):

Graeme Forbes
Bruce Fraser
Monica Macaulay & Joseph Salmons
Marguerite MacKenzie
Johanna Nichols
Sergio Scalise
Chi-Lin Shih and Richard Sproat
Frances Trix

BLACKWELLS PUBLISHING
CENTER FOR APPLIED LINGUISTICS
CORNELL UNIVERSITY PRESS
CSLI
GARLAND PUBLISHING
INDIANA UNIVERSITY LINGUISTICS CLUB
JOHN BENJAMINS PUBLISHING, North America
KLUWERS PUBLISHING
LINGUISTIC SOCIETY OF AMERICA
MEDIA ENTERPRISE
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY, LINGUISTICS DEPT.
MIT PRESS (Journals Division)
ROUTLEDGE
SUMMER INSTITUTE OF LINGUISTICS
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS, DIVISION OF LINGUISTICS
WALTER DE GRUYTER