8.808, Qs: Quebecois Fr,Boletin issues,Expressions

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 30 06:59:53 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-808. Fri May 30 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.808, Qs: Quebecois Fr,Boletin issues,Expressions

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  29 May 97 15:27
From:  P.A.Rowlett at mod-lang.salford.ac.uk
Subject:  Negation in Quebecois French

2)
Date:  Thu, 08 May 1997 20:09:10 +0000
From:  Marma Josi Serrano <mjserran at ull.es>
Subject:  Boletin de la real Academia Issues

3)
Date:  Thu, 29 May 1997 12:31:00 +0000
From:  "Carsten Breul" <upp20a at ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Subject:  Query: Expressions like 'Put them away yet?'

Date:  29 May 97 15:27
From:  P.A.Rowlett at mod-lang.salford.ac.uk

In Standard French, the direct objects in the following two sentences
are different:

(1)  J'ai mange [de la viande]
(2)  Je n'ai pas mange [de viande]

Is the same contrast a regular feature of Quebecois French?

Also, it is well-known that (apart from a few very specific syntactic
contexts) negative concord with *pas* is ruled out in Standard French,
but possible in Quebecois French.  Now, can anyone tell me whether, in
clauses with negative concord with *pas* in Quebecois French, the
contrast between (1) and (2) is maintained?  So, which of the two
below is typical:

(3)  Je n'ai pas donne [de cadeaux] a personne
(4)  Je n'ai pas donne [des cadeaux] a personne

Any other interesting (i.e., non-standard) facts about the
distribution of these kinds of indefinite direct objects in Quebecois
French would be welcome.

Many thanks.

Dr Paul Rowlett
European Studies Research Institute