8.1573, Qs: English in Japan, Hist. of Eng., Nonverbal Comm

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Nov 2 17:32:25 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1573. Sun Nov 2 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1573, Qs: English in Japan, Hist. of Eng., Nonverbal Comm

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 1 Nov 1997 20:44:53 +0900
From:  ohtani at gol.com (Sharon Vaipae)
Subject:  Native English Speaking Returnee Students

2)
Date:  Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:29:22 +0100
From:  "Giovanni Iamartino" <giiamar at tin.it>
Subject:  Hayashi's History of English Lexicography

3)
Date:  Sat, 1 Nov 1997 14:59:03 -0500
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)
Subject:  Nonverbal Communication

Date:  Sat, 1 Nov 1997 20:44:53 +0900
From:  ohtani at gol.com (Sharon Vaipae)

There are many returned expatriots of native English speaking
countries.  Some are businessmen, entrepreneurs, academics,
journalists, and researchers.  For purposes of academic study, I am
interested in being put in contact with families who have

1) lived overseas in a non-native English speaking country;
2) children who attended public schools there for any period
            between K and 9th grades;
3) now returned to their native English-speaking countries;
4) AND would be willing to complete a  stamped mailed questionnaire.

My interest is an extension of a Toyota Foundation-funded study of
language minority students in Japanese public schools. The results of
this work have been published in Japanese, _Gaijin Seito ga Yatte
Kita_, Takahashi M. and Vaipae, S.V., Tokyo: Taishokan, 1996, and and
the English version is forthcoming. Now that we know what happens in
the second language schooling, it would be informative to discover the
varieties of cultural re-entry and return to schooling in the native
language.

If you have had this experience, or are acquainted with such a family,
I would very much appreciate your assistance in making these contacts.

Sincerely,
Sharon Vaipae

 Sharon Vaipae                            Ohtani Women's University
 Shigakudai Nishikiori                       Home tele 06-675-3810
 Tondabayashi-shi, Osaka 584  Japan          email: ohtani at gol.com
        "The truth shall make you odd."     --Flannery O'Connor