8.1578, Qs: Eng. Dialects, Historical Ling, Pets, Chinese

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 3 13:46:10 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1578. Mon Nov 3 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1578, Qs: Eng. Dialects, Historical Ling, Pets, Chinese

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:30:56 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>
Subject:  English Dialects

2)
Date:  Sat, 01 Nov 1997 00:25:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:  SEEGMILLERM at alpha.montclair.edu
Subject: Text for Historical Ling

3)
Date:  Mon, 3 Nov 1997 12:03:13 -0500 (EST)
From:  Timothy Jay <tjay at mcla.mass.edu>
Subject:  Talking to Pets

4)
Date:  Mon, 3 Nov 1997 11:45:12 -0600 (CST)
From:  chammond at siu.edu (Charles Hammond)
Subject:  Chinese

Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:30:56 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>

I am looking for some help assembling a comparative set of
subject-verb agreement paradigms for various British, American and
world dialects of English. I would be extremely appreciative if
knowledgeable persons would send me paradigms for the dialect they
know including the verb form for all persons (I, you, s/he/it, etc.)
for the following verbs:

'be' pres. and past
'come' pres. and past
'walk' pres. and past

Along with the 'principal parts' of these, esp. past tense and past
participle.

These items plus identification of the dialect in question are what
I'm looking for. For dialects that have two forms of one of these,
such as the two 'be' verbs in AAVE, I'd appreciate both forms.

Just fill in the 'form' below and send it back to me. Thanks!!!  I
will credit contributors in whatever use I make of these (I wish to
use them for a class at present).

Johanna Rubba	Assistant Professor, Linguistics              ~
English Department, California Polytechnic State University   ~
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     ~
Tel. (805)-756-2184  E-mail: jrubba at polymail.calpoly.edu      ~
DIALECT:
Region/population:

BE
Present tense				Past tense
I			we		I		we
you(sg) 		you(pl)		you(sg)		you(pl)
s/he/it			they		s/he/it		they

COME
Present tense                           Past tense
I                       we              I               we
you(sg)                 you(pl)         you(sg)         you(pl)
s/he/it                 they            s/he/it         they

WALK
Present tense                           Past tense
I                       we              I               we
you(sg)                 you(pl)         you(sg)         you(pl)
s/he/it                 they            s/he/it         they

Princ. parts:
	INF	3rd sg pres	past	past participle
be
come