8.1580, FYI: WILMA, The Chomsky Barometer

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 3 21:39:38 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1580. Mon Nov 3 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1580, FYI: WILMA, The Chomsky Barometer

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 1 Nov 1997 14:49:38 -0500
From:  Monica Macaulay <mmacaula at facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject:  WILMA

2)
Date:  Mon, 3 Nov 1997 20:25:32 -0400
From:  Randy Allen Harris <raha at watarts.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject:  The Chomsky Barometer

Date:  Sat, 1 Nov 1997 14:49:38 -0500
From:  Monica Macaulay <mmacaula at facstaff.wisc.edu>

ANNUAL FALL ANNOUNCEMENT:

                                WILMA
     (Women In Linguistics Mentoring Alliance)

                          A Project of the
 Committee on the Status of Women in Linguistics
                              (COSWL)

               Linguistic Society of America

WILMA is a project which provides women in Linguistics with mentors to help
them with general survival skills and advice.  We pair junior women with
relatively more senior women at different institutions, creating ongoing
mentoring relationships.

All women in Linguistics are eligible.  Membership in this group is
self-defined, but possible criteria include being a student or having a
degree in Linguistics (or a related field like Linguistic Anthropology,
French Linguistics, Psycholinguistics), membership in the LSA and/or other
professional Linguistics organizations, and so on.  Participants include
graduate students, faculty, women outside of academia, and undergraduates
applying to graduate school in linguistics.  Women in countries other than
the US are also welcome to join (however, we caution you that it may be
more difficult to make appropriate matches in such cases).  Our aim is to
be as inclusive as possible.

We have been in operation since January, 1997, and have made numerous
matches at all levels.  At this point we have a large backlog of women who
need mentors, so we strongly encourage women who are interested in
participating to volunteer to be mentors as well as mentees.  (Of course we
are still accepting women who only want to be mentees as well.)

For a copy of the WILMA brochure and/or questionnaire, contact:
     Monica Macaulay, mmacaula at facstaff.wisc.edu

We operate almost entirely via email, but hardcopy will be sent out if
absolutely necessary.  The snail mail address is:
     WILMA Project Director
     University of Wisconsin
     Department of Linguistics
     1168 Van Hise Hall