8.1594, Qs: Ogham, English Grammars, English Schwa

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 6 12:47:41 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1594. Thu Nov 6 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1594, Qs: Ogham, English Grammars, English Schwa

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 05 Nov 1997 22:17:38 -0800
From:  Steven Schaufele <fcosw5 at mbm1.scu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Ogham

2)
Date:  Wed, 5 Nov 1997 21:59:21 +0100 (MET)
From:  Marc Fryd <Marc.Fryd at cri.univ-poitiers.fr>
Subject:  English Grammars 1800-1960

3)
Date:  Thu, 06 Nov 1997 21:56:39 +0800
From:  TONG MIU SIM MALINDY <97420128 at plink.cityu.edu.hk>
Subject:  English Schwa

Date:  Wed, 05 Nov 1997 22:17:38 -0800
From:  Steven Schaufele <fcosw5 at mbm1.scu.edu.tw>

Does anybody know anything about the origins of the Ogham system used in
early Irish inscriptions?  In particular, is it in any way derived from
Greek or any of the other alphabetic systems of the Mediterranean Basin?
I'm lecturing next Monday on writing systems and would like to be able
to touch on this subject, if i can find out anything at all about it by
this weekend.  None of my reference sources has anything to say about
the origin of Ogham `letters'.

Best,
Steven
-
Steven Schaufele, Ph.D., Asst. Prof. of Linguistics, English Department

Soochow University, Waishuanghsi Campus, Taipei 11102, Taiwan, ROC

(886)(02)881-9471 ext. 6504     fcosw5 at mbm1.scu.edu.tw

http://www.prairienet.org/~fcosws/homepage.html

        ***O syntagmata linguarum liberemini humanarum!***

        ***Nihil vestris privari nisi obicibus potestis!***