8.1664, Qs: whachamacallit,Serbo-Croatian,Book,Cognition

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 20 16:18:26 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1664. Thu Nov 20 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1664, Qs: whachamacallit,Serbo-Croatian,Book,Cognition

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:           Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:58:11 GMT-2
From:  "dave gough" <DGOUGH at artsn.uwc.ac.za>
Subject:  whachamacallit?

2)
Date:  Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:23:55 -0500
From:  "orenthal at innocent.com" <orenthal at innocent.com>
Subject:  Serbo-Croatian

3)
Date:  Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:55:39 +0200
From:  "Radu Daniliuc" <srdan at assist.cccis.ro>
Subject:  Books request

4)
Date:  Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:44:21 -0500 (EST)
From:  Michael Kliffer <kliffer at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA>
Subject:  spoken/written cognitive differences

Date:           Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:58:11 GMT-2
From:  "dave gough" <DGOUGH at artsn.uwc.ac.za>

I've been looking at 'forget phrases' such as 'whachamacallit' and
'whatsisname'.  I'm interested in

* any previous research on such phrases
(including the obvious fact that they have become 'conventionalised'
-  with associated phonological  etc processes).

*standard spelling conventions of these items

*'first mentions' of these items (are they in OED??)

*similar phrases in British, American and other varieties of English

*similar phrases in other languages.  In Xhosa (Bantu) for instance,
the equivalent expression is 'nantsika'  which seems to be derived
from 'nantsi' (here it is) +  ka (a form whose meaning appears to be
lost to time).

I hope to get uh thingmujig uh responses.

(Prof) Dave Gough
Department of Linguisitcs
University of Western Cape
Bellville