8.1712, Qs: Women's Lang., Red & Yellow, Editors

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 28 15:58:58 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1712. Fri Nov 28 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1712, Qs: Women's Lang., Red & Yellow, Editors

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 27 Nov 1997 15:48:49 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Women's language

2)
Date:  Thu, 27 Nov 1997 16:07:02 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Image of "red" and "yellow"

3)
Date:  Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:27:05 -0500
From:  Antony Dubach Green <green at fas.ag-berlin.mpg.de>
Subject:  Editors for Current Approaches to African Linguistics vol. 2

Date:  Thu, 27 Nov 1997 15:48:49 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>

Dear Linguists,
   I have an undergraduate student who is working on her
graduation paper about the use of women's language in English.
Could you answer the following questions and help her write the
paper?   Please answer me directly and make comments, if any. I
will have her post a summary soon.

- ------------------------------------------------
(i) Please choose the best expression between the two/three
phrases below. Which do you use off-handedly, in everyday
conversation? If possible, I'd like to know if you are male or female.
Please check * mark from which you choose. If you have any
comments, please don't hesitate to mae them.

I'm male/felmale.

  (1) A: I have two tickets for the movie  "Air Force One." Do you have
time on Saturday?
       B: Yes, I'd {(   )love / (    )like} to.

  (2) a. Everyone has {(   )his/(   )his or her/(   )their} off days.
       b. Someone knocked at the door but {(   )he/(   )he oe she/(
)they} had gone when I got downstairs.

(ii) The following examples are from the real, quoted examples. Do
you think that "sort of" in (1) and (2), and "isn't it" in (3) are
spoken by women?

  (1) A: What was the nature of your aquantance with the late Mrs.
E.D?
       B: Well, we were, uh, very close friends. Uh, she was even
"sort of" like a mother to me.
    Your guess and comments:

  (2) A: you know what? Arbitrage has put out this, "sort of"
_Introduction To_ tape for the business schools. Why don't we put
it in, and if you have any questions...
       B: That would be great, thanks.
         Your guess and comments:

  (3) A: David? Is his name David?
       B: Yes, it is.
       A: That's funny. My name's David, too.
       B: Tha is funny, "isn't it"?
        Your guess and comments:

   Thanks a lot in advance. Please mail me directly.

Best wishes,

Hiroaki Tanaka

Associate Professor
Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences