8.1438, Qs: Predictability,Copy wanted,Realistic

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 7 14:55:25 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1438. Tue Oct 7 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1438, Qs: Predictability,Copy wanted,Realistic

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:31:48 +0800 (CST)
From:  wzyem at pubms.pku.edu.cn
Subject:  predictability and redundancy

2)
Date:  Sun, 5 Oct 1997 18:04:09 +0800 (CST)
From:  wzyem at pubms.pku.edu.cn
Subject:  copy wanted

3)
Date:  Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:55:45 +0800 (CST)
From:  wzyem at pubms.pku.edu.cn
Subject:  Realistic or idealistic

Date:  Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:31:48 +0800 (CST)
From:  wzyem at pubms.pku.edu.cn

Roman Jakobson, E.Colin Cherry and Morris Halle maintain, in "Toward the
Logical Description of Language in their Phonemic Aspect" (Jakobson,
Selected Writings vol.1, 450), "Once this set (of distinctive features) is
determined, all other phonetic differences among morphemes or words of the
given language can be shown to be predictable and therefore redundant."
Could you illustrate the relation between "predictability" and
"redundancy"? If possible, I will furnish a summary.