8.1463, Qs: Gender, Navajo, Extended BNF

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 10 14:36:48 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1463. Fri Oct 10 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1463, Qs: Gender, Navajo, Extended BNF

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 10 Oct 1997 05:51:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:  KErmschel at aol.com
Subject:  women`s language

2)
Date:  	Fri, 10 Oct 1997 15:58:31 +0100 (DST)
From:  Brita Warvik <warvik at utu.fi>
Subject:  Help with Navajo

3)
Date:  Fri, 10 Oct 1997 14:16:18 -0500
From:  Dale Russell <russell at ukraine.corp.mot.com>
Subject:  Query: Extended BNF

Date:  Fri, 10 Oct 1997 05:51:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:  KErmschel at aol.com

I don`t know whether you remember me. I am a student of English
linguistics in Bonn, Germany. At present I am still working on my
final paper for the State Exam (on women`s speech). Victoria
A. Fromkin kindly suggested writing to you.

I would now like to ask you some specific questions on that topic.

1.Do you believe that it is women who do all the gossiping? I feel at
times that men gossip as well and not less than women.

2. Do you think that women`s speech styles differ from that of men due
to biological reasons or solely due to socio-cultural factors?

3. Do you think that women should change their style of talking to
gain more respect?

I hope I don`t bother you with my questions. Thanks a lot in advance,

yours Kerstin

Kerstin Ermschel
Koenigsheimstr. 11
53225 Bonn