8.1488, Qs: Historical Ling, Syntax, le Verlan

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 15 18:33:20 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1488. Wed Oct 15 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1488, Qs: Historical Ling, Syntax, le Verlan

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:49:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:  Guido Mensching <Mensching at spinfo.Uni-Koeln.DE>
Subject:  Qs: "Archaism" in historical linguistics

2)
Date:  Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:34:43 +0100
From:  Daniel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ria=F1o?= <danielrr at mad.servicom.es>
Subject:  syntactical annotation of Classical texts with a computer

3)
Date:  Tue, 14 Oct 1997 05:58:04 -0700
From:  Melonie Alspaugh <meloniea at mail.utexas.edu>
Subject:  le Verlan

Date:  Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:49:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:  Guido Mensching <Mensching at spinfo.Uni-Koeln.DE>

I am looking for definitions of and/or critical comments about
"archaic", "archaism", etc. as used in historical linguistics. I am
referring to a concept of "archaism", in which a language X1
(e.g. Spanish) is compared to its genealogical basis X (e.g. Latin)
and to other languages X2, X3, ... derived from the same basis
(e.g. Italian, French ...). Usually, linguistic dictionaries do not
show this meaning of "archaic" / "archaism". So far, I have found only
one dictionary (Johann Knobloch, ed., "Sprachwissenschaftliches
Woerterbuch"), where "archaism" is defined (not very elegantly) as "an
old-fashionedness which the more conservative languages conserve from
their base-language" ("eine Altertuemlichkeit, die die konservativeren
Sprachen aus der Grundsprache bewahren").  The background of my
interest in this subject is that I have observed that, at least in
"Romance Philology", "archaism" is mostly used without any theoretical
reflection. In addition, many authors mix up various concepts of
"archaism".  I will be grateful for any indications to dictionaries,
textbooks, etc. Of course, personal opinions will also be welcome.

Guido Mensching -- Linguistic Data Processing -- University of Cologne
mensch at spinfo.uni-koeln.de -- Tel. 49-221-4704430 -- FAX:
                                                    49-221-4705193