8.1515, Qs: Jespersen texts

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 22 15:54:43 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1515. Wed Oct 22 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1515, Qs: Jespersen texts

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:18:20 +0800 (HKT)
From:  lichao at ibm320h.phy.pku.edu.cn

Date:  Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:18:20 +0800 (HKT)
From:  lichao at ibm320h.phy.pku.edu.cn

Dear linguists,
I'm a third-year graduate student of Peking University, China. To get hold
of Jespersen's Progress in Language, with Special Reference to English, I
have visited all the big libraries in Peking. Unfortunately, I cannot find
the book. But I've got the news that the book of a new edition and with
an introduction by J. D. McCawley has lbeen published by John Benjamins
Publishing Company. So I wonder if any linguist can offer me this book
with generosity. I need your help, my friend, my teacher! We are studying
language, but now I feel any words in any language cannot express my
feeling, my gratitude. I must do this with my trembling heart!
Best wishes!

I'm preparing a thesis on Jespersen. To know much about this linguist of
international fame, I wonder if any linguist with warm heart can help me
get the English translation (by D. Stonder) of Jespersen's
autobiography--A Linguist's Life, Copenhagen: Gyldendal, 1993. To tell the
truth, I'm a poor (in money) third-year graduate student of Peking
University, China. I need your great help. Thank you!
Best wishes!

I need two articles on Jespersen: (1) Christophersen, P. 1972."Otto
Jespersen: A retrospect." Transactions of the Philological Society 1-19;
(2) Haislund, Niels. 1943. "Otto Jespersen." Englische Studien 75: 273-83.
[Reprinted in Thomas A. Sebeok, Portraits of Linguists, vol.2.
Bloomington & London: Indiana U.P., 1966: 148-57]. Would any linguist help
me get a copy of these two articles? Thank you in advance for your great
help.
Best wishes!

My address:

Chao Li