8.1525, Qs: Japanese Onomatopoeia, Japanese in Hawaii

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 24 15:12:18 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1525. Fri Oct 24 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1525, Qs: Japanese Onomatopoeia, Japanese in Hawaii

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: James German <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:46:17 +0000
From:  M.Iwashita at utas.edu.au (Mami Iwashita)
Subject:  Q: Japanese onomatopoeia

2)
Date:  Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:31:36 -0400
From:   david l lewis <debitto at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Japanese in Hawaii

Date:  Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:46:17 +0000
From:  M.Iwashita at utas.edu.au (Mami Iwashita)

Dear Linguists,

I will forward one of my Honours students message.  I would really
appreciate it if someone could give her some suggestions.

Thank you very much.

I am looking for a fairly comprehensive listing of the sound symbolism
used within Japanese onomatopoeia, ie. the different meaning conveyed
through the use of [k] in " kirakira " and [gi] in " giragira ".  Also
in English, the sound symbolism of such consonant clusters as [sw]
indicating a smooth, broad movement as in "swoop", "sweep", "swing".
Or the vowel cluster [oo] in "boom", "loom", "doom", "gloom" -
conveying perhaps a sense of depth, darkness or forboding.  And what
are the combined effects of different consonant clusters with
different vowel sounds?  For example does [oo] have a different effect
with the bilabials [b] and [m] in "boom" than it does in a word like
"scoot", where it is combined with different consonants?

(To me both these words have a suggestion of a continuation - of sound
in "boom" and of movement in "scoot", however the [b] and [m] seem to
imply a slower speed than the [sc] and [t].  Obviously such concepts
would tend to be unique to a language or languages of similar origin
(such as French and English), and therefore there will most likely be
quite different associations with sounds between Japanese and English.
This would certainly be something that a translator would need to keep
in mind when translating onomatopoeia or words with onomatopoeic
effect from one language to the other.  An onomatopoeic word whose
sound connotations are pleasant in one language, may be translated to
an ononatopoeic word in the other language whose sound connatations
are definately unpleasant - I can't think of any examples of this
until I know the associations involved, but maybe there are some.)

***   PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF EMAIL ADDRESS   ***
- The University is 'dropping' the Department section of all staff addresses.

MAMI IWASHITA
M.Iwashita at utas.edu.au

Dept of Asian Languages and Studies, University of Tasmania,
GPO Box 252-91, Hobart, Tas., 7001, Australia
[Ph] 61-3-6226-2343    [Fax] 61-3-6226-7813

[SMILES]
:) (my favourite)  :-D (new version!?)  (^.^) (Japanese version)
Here's one more :   B-)   (New Batman version!)