8.1528, Sum: AmEng External Sandhi

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 26 16:05:41 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1528. Sun Oct 26 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1528, Sum: AmEng External Sandhi

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 24 Oct 1997 15:51:16 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Summary: AmEng external sandhi

Date:  Fri, 24 Oct 1997 15:51:16 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>

I asked on the LINGUIST List (#8.1442) and on ADS-L (the American
Dialect Soc'y list):

  I am looking for descriptions of external sandhi in American
  English, especially such pronunciations as are often written
  "gotcha" (for canonical "got you"). I will post a summary to the
  list if there is sufficient interest.

Many people kindly replied. Here is a summary of their replies:

=====

Peter T. Daniels <grammatim at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

You need the work of a short-lived school of phonology called "natural
generative phonology," which flourished(?) in the early 1970s in
connection with the generative semantics school centered on the
University of Chicago. The key name is David Stampe, whose
dissertation was originally called "What I did on my summer vacation"
but was retitled "A dissertation in natural phonology."  You'll find
articles in this genre in the Proceedings of the Chicago Linguistic
Society from those years, and a volume from a Parasession on Natural
Phonology in 1975 or so.

[And I have the CLS volumes from that period at home, somewhere,
from my Berkeley years. -- MAM]

=====

James Giangola <jamesg at genmagic.com> recommended _Patterns of
English Pronunciation_ by J. Donald Bowen (UCLA), 1975, provided
some samples, and even offered to fax me the relevant pages.

[Thanks, James, but I found a copy at MIT.]

=====

Ben Brumfield <benwbrum at berserker.lensflare.com> pointed out a
regional example:

Piedmont Virginia (Pittsylvania County, at least) features the case of
/rajc yi:r/
Ri-Cheer
For "Right Here"

=====

Mel Resnick <resnickmc at centum.utulsa.edu> pointed me to his
article:

Resnick, Melvyn C. "The Redundant English Phonemes /c,j,s,z/."
   Linguistics 86 (1972): 83-86.

Those symbols in the title are of course in place of the usual
wedge symbols.

=====

Aaron Drews <aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk> recommends "any introductory
linguistics text for a description of GA (General American)
sandhi."

=====

The redoubtable Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at ling.ohio-state.edu>
advised:

the problem here is that there's so much literature.  for the
GOTCHA stuff, one good place to start is joel rotenberg's 1978 mit
dissertation, The Syntax of Phonology.

[And whaddya know, Arnold, I found that one at MIT too!]

=====

Betty Phillips <ejphill at root.indstate.edu> pointed me to

Holst, Tara & Francis Nolan. 1995. "The influence of syntactic
structure on [s] to [  ] assimilation."  _Phonology and Phonetic
Evidence: Papers in Laboratory Phonology IV_. Eds. Bruce Connell &
Amalia Arvaniti.  Cambridge UP. 315-333.
(where [ ] = "esh")

[Also found at MIT.]

=====

 Alan Grosenheider <alang at u.washington.edu> and
 KIM DAMMERS <kdammers at hotmail.com>
mentioned some more English examples, and
 Kate McCreight <katemccreight at alum.mit.edu>
described some work she's currently involved in.

=====

My thanks to all!

       Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist : mark at dragonsys.com
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
           Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/