8.1540, FYI: Clarification, LOT Winterschool 1998

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 28 02:34:16 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1540. Tue Oct 28 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1540, FYI: Clarification, LOT Winterschool 1998

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: James German <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:41:06 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Clarification of Sum: AmEng External Sandhi

2)
Date:  Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:47:04 +0100
From:  "LOT (Christien Bok)" <lot at let.ruu.nl>
Subject:  LOT Winterschool 1998

Date:  Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:41:06 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>

On reading the LINGUIST's Web posting
(http://www.emich.edu/~linguist/issues/8/8-1528.html) of my summary of
replies to my query on external sandhi, I discovered that all the
circumflexes (carets) had been lost in transit. They were there when
the message left my keyboard!

I will repeat the two affected sections here, substituting for the
caret a pound sign ("#"), which I hope will reach subscribers:

   -----------------------------------

Ben Brumfield <benwbrum at berserker.lensflare.com> pointed out a
regional example:

Piedmont Virginia (Pittsylvania County, at least) features the case of
/rajc# yi:r/
Ri-Cheer For "Right Here"

=====

Mel Resnick <resnickmc at centum.utulsa.edu> pointed me to his
article:

Resnick, Melvyn C. "The Redundant English Phonemes /c#,j#,s#,z#/."
   Linguistics 86 (1972): 83-86.

Those symbols in the title are of course in place of the usual
wedge symbols.

   -----------------------------------

The deletions must have made Resnick's last comment rather puzzling.

On the other hand, the blanks between brackets in Betty Phillips's
contribution
 >	(where [ ] = "esh")
are exactly as I received them from her, although they, too, may
represent something more substantial that vanished en route.

       Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist : mark at dragonsys.com
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/

Date:  Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:47:04 +0100
From:  "LOT (Christien Bok)" <lot at let.ruu.nl>

Courses Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics (LOT)

>>From 17 - 28 January 1998 the LOT Graduate Courses will take place in
Leiden. You can find course descriptions, enrollment forms and more
information at

http://wwwots.let.ruu.nl/LOT/ws98.html

You can also contact the LOT-secretariat, (Christien Bok, LOT, Trans
10, 3512 JK Utrecht, The Netherlands, +31(0)30-2536006,
fax. +31(0)30-2536000, LOT at let.ruu.nl) we will send you booklets with
course-descriptions and enrollment forms.  Deadline for enrollments
for LOT-affiliates is November 1st, for others December 1.

Enrollment for LOT affiliates are free, for others it's DFL 350, for
one week, excl. lodging.

Program LOT- winterschool

- ------------------------------------
First week: January 12 - 16
- ------------------------------------

** 9.30 - 12.00 **

Rita Manzini (University of Florence) The theoretical significance of
Romance (subject and object) clitics

Robert Beard (Lewisburgh University)
Lexeme-Morpheme Base Morphology:  Is Syntax Necessary?

Jurgen Meisel (Potsdam University) First and Second Language
Acquisition: Similarities and Differences

** 13.00 - 15.30 ** Lesley Milroy (University of Michigan)
Sociolinguistic Issues in Bilingualsim

Hans Broekhuis (Tilburg University) Minimalism and Optimality Theory:
Derivations an Evaluations

Willem Adelaar (Leyden University) Linguistic structures of Native
America

** 16.00 - 18.30 ** Huub van den Bergh (Utrecht University)
Statistics, tailor-made

Hans den Besten (Amsterdam University) Issues in Africaans Syntax

Norval Smith (University of Amsterdam) Prosodic Morphology, with
special emphasis on metathesis

Second week: January 19 - 23

** 9.30 -12.00 ** Eve Sweetser (University of California, Berkeley)
Semantics of Constructions

Carlos Gussenhoven (Nijmegen University) Experimental approaches to
Intonational Phonology

Ardi Roelofs (Max Planck Institute) Lexical access in language
production

** 13.00 - 15.30 **

Ian Roberts (Stuttgart University) and Anna Roussou (University of
Bangor) Checking Theory

Marc van Oostendorp (Leyden University) Schwa in phonological
theory

Frank Wijnen (Utrecht University) and Edith Kaan (MIT) Topics in
sentence processing

** 16.00 - 18.30 **

Ed Keenan (University of California ) Bare Grammar

Renee van Bezooijen (Nijmegen University) Experimental dialectology.

               LOT

Landelijke Onderzoekschool Taalwetenschap
Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics

             Trans 10
             3512 JK Utrecht
             Phone: +31 30 2536006
             Fax: +31 30 2536000