8.1549, Qs: Socio-ling theory,Lang purism,Possessives

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 29 16:21:48 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1549. Wed Oct 29 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1549, Qs: Socio-ling theory,Lang purism,Possessives

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:35:00 -0500
From:  "Carl Jay M. del Rosario" <clacjmd at dlsu.edu.ph>
Subject:  Socio-Linguistic Theory as a Framework of Study

2)
Date:  Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:29:34 +0200
From:  walker at monza.u-strasbg.fr (Jim Walker)
Subject:  language purism in English

3)
Date:  Wed, 29 Oct 1997 05:30:55 PST
From:  "Zhimin Tong" <tongzm at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Double possesive

Date:  Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:35:00 -0500
From:  "Carl Jay M. del Rosario" <clacjmd at dlsu.edu.ph>

     Hi!  I am a graduate student taking my M.A. in Philippine Studies.
I am currently doing research on people's participation in governance
(i.e. in the decision-making process) and development.  My assumption
(as well as my professor's) is there can never be active mass
participation in the Philippines as long as the basic problem of not
having an accepted "national language" still persists.  The Philippines,
as we all know, is an archipelago with countless ethno-linguistic groups
dispersed in various regions.  Language planning (i.e. working on a
national language) is quite recent in as much as the Philippines was a
colony of Spain (for three centuries), America (for about four decades)
and Japan (for about four years).  It only declared (genuine) statehood
at the onset of the second half of this century.  There is now a
so-called "national language" -- "Filipino" -- which is no doubt based
on the regional dialect of the "dominant" ethno-linguistic group -- the
"Tagalogs" --  which in turn is based on the capital and some nearby
provinces.  My question is: "What socio-linguistic theory would best
analyze the language situation in the Philippines?"  I found theories
along the Marxist lines quite interesting to use.  The persistence of
the Tagalogs (despite opposition from the Cebuanos farther south) in
maintaining a Tagalog-based national language could be considered an
elite group's attempt to perpetruate power relevant to decision-making
and (self-interests in) development.  The language situation is
complicated by the fact that English is used side-by-side with the
"local languages (Tagalog-based Filipino and other dialects)."  Modesty
aside I can claim that the well-educated Filipino is at par with the
well-educated American in English rhetoric, even in abstractive
reasoning.  However, I cannot claim that this English language prowess
is very fortunate (or unfortunate) for the Filipino.  In the capital --
Manila -- English is widely used, and in about 90% of schools, a
conservative figure, everything, except Filipino, History and some
Social Sciences, is taught in English.  The elite -- in the realms of
politics, business, academe, etc. -- within the "elite society (Manila
vis-a-vis the rest of the country)" prefer to use English than Tagalog
or the so-called "Filipino," which I think is very much elitist as well
in as much as their use of English excludes "classes" not of their kind
in their affairs.  Would Marxist Socio-Linguistic Theory fit a study
which would analyze the language situation in the Philippines?  Would
you have in mind more "thinkers" who are more or less authorities in
this area?  I encountered the names Marr and, surprisingly, Stalin in my
reading.  Would they be of any help?  How about the Frankfurt School
which my professor suggested?  Thank you very much.  I shall be waiting
for your response.

-  Carl Jay M. del Rosario