8.1566, Qs: ESL, Dialects, Language Planning in China

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 31 11:00:27 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1566. Fri Oct 31 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1566, Qs: ESL, Dialects, Language Planning in China

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  30 Oct 97 15:13:06 PST
From:  Laurie.Zaring at directory.reed.edu (Laurie Zaring)
Subject:  ESL Proficiency Testing

2)
Date:  Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:16:35 -0500 (EST)
From:  MichaelSC at aol.com
Subject:  Dialects in the World

3)
Date:  Fri, 31 Oct 1997 17:54:06 +0800
From:  Peter Yongqi Gu <petergu at ln.edu.hk>
Subject:  Language Planning in China

Date:  30 Oct 97 15:13:06 PST
From:  Laurie.Zaring at directory.reed.edu (Laurie Zaring)

I'm looking for some easy-to-implement testing procedures for determining the
approximate level of proficiency (oral and/or written) of non-native speakers
of English.  I have an undergraduate student who is pursuing an independent
research project working with speakers of Mandarin Chinese, and she needs to be
able to gauge roughly the degree to which they speak English.  I know that
ACTFL has a detailed process for assessment of written and spoken proficiency
in many languages, but this involves a lengthy training process and goes into
much more detail that we need for this particular project.  Does anyone know of
less-detailed and more readily-available testing materials that might lend
themselves to what we need?  If so, please contact me at:

Laurie.Zaring at reed.edu

Thanks in advance!

Laurie Zaring