8.1251, Qs: Logic and Meaning, Permission

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 2 16:02:46 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1251. Tue Sep 2 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1251, Qs: Logic and Meaning, Permission

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 1 Sep 1997 18:06:48 PDT
From:  Martin Kay <kay at parc.xerox.com>
Subject:  Logic and Meaning

2)
Date:  Tue, 2 Sep 1997 14:55:00 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Question: 'Permission' may and can

Date:  Mon, 1 Sep 1997 18:06:48 PDT
From:  Martin Kay <kay at parc.xerox.com>

Much current work in (combinatory) semantics is driven by the idea that
sentences provide the input for inference procedures.  However, people are
generally rather bad at logic and at constructing and analyzing sentences
with nontrivial logical structures.  So, a sign on a London bus says:
  Please offer these seats to elderly and disabled people or
  those with children.
What determines the distribtion of "and" and "or"?  Another sign promises dire
consequences to
  Any vehicle that is parked otherwise than in accordance with railway
  byelaws and conditions and any other directions or regulations ...
Faced with
  Don't get a cat unless you don't want any mice in the house
people seem to assume it means what they think it ought to mean rather than
trying to determine its structre carefully.  I have heard it said that each
negation costs 300 miliseconds, and that, while people can handle simple
cases of modus ponens, they  cannot do modus tollens worth a damn.  My
question is; is there a literature on what people can actually do?  In
particular, are there experimental results?

Xerox Palo Alto Research Center                  +1-415-8124343 (office)
3333 Coyote Hill Road                            +1-415-8124374 (fax)
Palo Alto                                        +1-415-3235925 (home)
CA 94304