8.1269, Sum: Practical Phonetics Texts

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 7 17:44:01 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1269. Sun Sep 7 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1269, Sum: Practical Phonetics Texts

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 6 Sep 1997 20:07:46 +0800 (CST)
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Sum: Practical Phonetics Texts

Date:  Sat, 6 Sep 1997 20:07:46 +0800 (CST)
From:  "Karen S. Chung" <karchung at ccms.ntu.edu.tw>

	Way back in early June I solicited suggestions for practical
phonetics texts. I had been asked by my department to teach a
phonetics course for future high school English teachers in Taiwan. I
received lots of excellent information from LINGUIST subscribers,
which I will summarize below for the list. (Some of the comments on
the texts have been slightly edited for reasons of format.)

	Due to a shortage of available faculty and higher priority of
other courses at NTU, it turns out I that will not be doing the
phonetics course this year after all. So the rush to find a text
calmed down a bit - though I may be doing the class next academic
year. If I do, I have decided to use the new (3rd) edition of Peter
Ladefoged's _A Course in Phonetics_ (1993. Fort Worth etc.: Harcourt
Brace. 308pp. Paper.) - a work that, strangely enough, was not
mentioned by anyone who wrote. This text should work out well for me,
since I am familiar with it (an earlier edition was one of the main
texts in the articulatory phonetics course I sat in on at the U of
Minnesota in 1975) and have confidence in it, and also it is easily
available, relatively inexpensively and in quantity, in Taipei.

	However, assuming I do teach the course, I am sure I will also
refer to some of the other works suggested below. Some I was familiar
with before, and there is one (the Vaughan-Rees one) I had just picked
up locally for examination, in connection with another course I teach
(an 'aural-oral training' lab course for foreign language majors, with
stress on English listening comprehension and pronunciation
practice). All the materials look intriguing, and I hope this list
will help someone out somewhere.

	Abundant thanks to all who contributed - particularly Jane
Setter in Hong Kong, who contributed so *much*.

	Best wishes to all for an enriching fall semester,

					Karen Steffen Chung
                                        National Taiwan University
					Department of Foreign
					  Languages and Literatures