8.1290, Qs: Learning, Syntax, Whorf

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 11 05:29:14 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1290. Thu Sep 11 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1290, Qs: Learning, Syntax, Whorf

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:51:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Alain Thomas <thomas at uoguelph.ca>
Subject:  Query (on behalf of a colleague who is not on the list)

2)
Date:  Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:04:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:  jaret at u.washington.edu
Subject:  syntax in different genres

3)
Date:  Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:38:13 +0200
From:  Mihai Martoiu Tieu <mart1119 at exact.nl>
Subject:  Sum: Reading after Whorf's "Language, Mind and Reality"

Date:  Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:51:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Alain Thomas <thomas at uoguelph.ca>

I am looking for the name of a learning behaviour/phenomenon and some
bibliographical references to it.  I have done some research into the
way learners of Italian approach certain types of grammatical
exercises and I've identified a learning behaviour which I believe is
quite well known.  It occurs when students are concentrating so hard
on using a certain grammatical structure correctly that they make a
mistake in another part of the sentence.  In the Italian context I'm
referring to, students are learning to use indirect object pronouns in
Italian. ( These precede conjugated verbs.)  I've studied data of
student responses to exercises on the topic and have noticed that in
attempting to get the pronoun right, students often leave out the
auxiliary verb (necessary for the past tense) and just put in the past
participle.  (Something like when you're learning to park, you
concentrate so hard on getting the parking right that when you're done
you turn off the ignition forgetting to put the car in P.) It seems to
me that this is some kind of cognitive problem or learning strategy
problem.  I would appreciate knowing if there is a formal name for
this phenomenon and possibly a bibliographical reference.

-
Roberta Sinyor
Dept. of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics
South 561 Ross
York University     Tel: (416) 736-5016
4700 Keele St., North York, ON M3J 1P3  Fax: (416) 736-5483

or e-mail Dana Paramskas at: danap at uoguelph.ca