8.1300, Jobs: Computational Linguist (French)

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 15 15:44:10 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1300. Mon Sep 15 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1300, Jobs: Computational Linguist (French)

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:33:45 -0700
From:  Deborah Coughlin <deborahc at MICROSOFT.com>
Subject:  Computational Linguist (French)

Date:  Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:33:45 -0700
From:  Deborah Coughlin <deborahc at MICROSOFT.com>

COMPUTATIONAL LINGUIST for French

The NLP Group in Microsoft Research is looking for a computational
grammarian for French.  The position will be located on the Microsoft
central campus in Redmond, Washington, USA.  This is a great opportunity
to work with a dedicated group of researchers who are creating a system
for unrestricted text understanding and generation, and integrating that
technology into Microsoft products that are sold around the world.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

The primary responsibility will be designing and writing critique rules
for a grammar checker.  The rules are based on the output of our French
language parser, so the critique rule writer will become intimately
familiar with the Microsoft natural language system, and will then
enhance the system by creating rules to flag grammatical errors and
suggest alternatives.

QUALIFICATIONS:

The qualifications should include experience in linguistic research and
software development; familiarity with natural language processing; a
flexible approach to linguistic theory; and an advanced degree in
linguistics, computer science, or a closely related discipline.  Native
proficiency in French is assumed; practical experience with NLP
implementation issues or grammar checkers is highly desirable.

ABOUT THE MICROSOFT NLP RESEARCH GROUP:

We are in the process of designing and building a system to analyze
unrestricted natural language, taking input text, and moving from
lexical/morphological analysis through syntax, semantics, and eventually
pragmatics and discourse.  A generation component is also planned.  As
part of Microsoft Research, we work toward the long-term goal of broad
coverage language analysis: however, we also work closely with product
groups to integrate our technology into Microsoft products.  In
Microsoft Office '97, the English grammar checker is based on our
technology.  We are ready to develop the same system for French.

We are empirically oriented, and are happy to use good linguistic ideas
wherever they can be found.  A reasonable first-version summary of our
techniques and some of our experience can be found in the book "Natural
Language Processing: The PLNLP Approach," Kluwer Academic Publishers,
Boston, 1993.

For more information about the NLP group, connect to our home page on
the World Wide Web.

	http://www.research.Microsoft.com/nlp

CONTACT: Please send resumes, cover letters, and any additional
materials to:

 	Steven Clyne
 	Human Resources
 	Microsoft Corporation