8.1331, Sum: Tones and Morphemes in Dagbani

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 21 18:35:43 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1331. Sun Sep 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1331, Sum: Tones and Morphemes in Dagbani

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 18 Sep 97 12:28:02 +0200
From:  "Knut Olawsky" <olawsky at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de>
Subject:  Sum: Tones and morphemes in Dagbani

Date:  Thu, 18 Sep 97 12:28:02 +0200
From:  "Knut Olawsky" <olawsky at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de>

Quite some time ago I posted the following query:

Dagbani (Gur, Niger-Congo) is a two-tone language of Northern Ghana.
Typical nouns have a monosyllabic or disyllabic stem plus a
(monosyllabic) nominal class suffix. It seems that each morpheme has
not more than one tone, at least on the surface, which spreads if
there is more than one TBU.  Are there other languages which
illustrate the "1 tone per morpheme" principle? If you know of any,
please let me know.

- Thanks to Stephen Straight, Alexandre Kimenyi, Deborah Schmidt and
Malcolm Ross for their replies. Although the languages mentioned do
probably not exactly refer to the same phenomenon as in Dagbani, they
display interesting parallels regarding tonal structure.

In the meanwhile I found that the discovery of "one tone per morpheme"
in Dagbani is mainly a surface tendency, as nominal roots may be
toneless or contain a floating L tone as well. The surface tonal
structure of nouns, however is H or L, even with most polysyllabic
roots. A more detailed analysis is going to appear in the proceedings
of the 2nd World Congress of African Linguistics.

The following messages were received as replies to my query:
- --- Forwarded message begins here -----
1.