8.1329, FYI: Motorola Internship in Speech Synthesis

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 21 16:53:19 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1329. Sun Sep 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1329, FYI: Motorola Internship in Speech Synthesis

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:17:18 -0500
From:  zeinfeld at ukraine.corp.mot.com (Erica Zeinfeld)
Subject:  Motorola Internship Announcement

Date:  Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:17:18 -0500
From:  zeinfeld at ukraine.corp.mot.com (Erica Zeinfeld)

MOTOROLA  is  a leading provider of wireless communications,
semiconductors, and advanced electronic systems, components,
and services.

The   Speech  Synthesis  and  Machine  Learning   Group   at
Motorola's Corporate Research Laboratory in Schaumburg would
like  to  announce  an immediate opening  in  their  student
internship  program (open to students working  toward  their
Ph.D.).

The Speech Synthesis Group at Motorola has developed a world-
class, multi-language, text-to-speech synthesizer. Based  on
innovative    neural   networks   and   signal    processing
technologies, our synthesizer produces more natural sounding
speech  than that obtained from traditional speech synthesis
methods.  A  very significant contribution  to  the  overall
quality  of  our synthesized speech comes from the  training
database supplied to the neural networks.

Position Description:
This  full-time,  paid internship position entails  detailed
labeling  of  spectrograms and waveforms for a large  speech
database.  The successful candidate will also  be  asked  to
perform  listening  tests  to  rate  various  text-to-speech
synthesizers.
The  initial  term  of the internship  is  six  months,  but
extensions are possible.

Candidate's Qualifications:
* Experience  in  reading  spectrograms  and  assigning
   accurate phonemes and intonation information to utterances
   (recent, successful completion of an Introductory Phonetics
   course may be sufficient)
* Native  competency in English; competency in languages
   other than English is also desirable
* Knowledge of ToBI labeling guidelines and/or  labeling
   tools  is  a  big  plus,  and will  weigh  heavily  in  an
   applicant's favor
* Basic   familiarity  with  MS-DOS/Windows  95/NT   is
   required, familiarity with UNIX is helpful
* Must  be a self-motivated, detail-oriented, consistent
   and efficient individual
* Good written and oral communication skills

Please address cover letters and resumes to:

          Corporate Staffing Department
          Reference "Karaali"
          Req.#: KP0018
          1303 E. Algonquin Rd.
          Schaumburg, IL 60196

Or  Fax  (be sure to include above Reference and Req.#)  to:
(847)538-4688

Motorola  is  an Equal Employment Opportunity /  Affirmative
Action  employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in  our
workforce. Proof of identity and eligibility to be  employed
in the United States is required.

For  more information on Motorola, Inc. visit our home page:
http://www.mot.com