8.1324, Qs: IE language, Link-words, English vowels

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Sep 21 16:17:56 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1324. Sun Sep 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1324, Qs: IE language, Link-words, English vowels

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:21:02 -0500
From:  Niloofar Haeri <haeri at jhu.edu>
Subject:  Query/ Emile Benveniste

2)
Date:  Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:21:18 +0200
From:  DECLOITRE PHILIPPE <philippe.decloitre at hol.fr>
Subject:  Link-words, articles and non-predicative words

3)
Date:  Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:42:57 -0500
From:  "Michael M. T. Henderson" <mmth at ukans.edu>
Subject:  English vowels

Date:  Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:21:02 -0500
From:  Niloofar Haeri <haeri at jhu.edu>

Does anyone know whether the work Benveniste did in his "Indo-European
Language and Society" (he looked at IE vocabulary in domains such as law,
exchange, kinship, etc.) has been followed up by anyone else? Also in this
book Benveniste says that he will not discuss the external history of these
institutions. Are there books that can be read parallel to this work that
would provide that history?

I would appreciate any references that you might know of. Please send them
to haeri at jhu.edu
In case there is further interest, I will post all references received.
Thank you.
Niloofar Haeri

Dept. of Anthropology
Johns Hopkins Univ.