8.1362, Jobs: Korean Comp Ling, Phonology/Phonetics

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 25 16:10:01 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1362. Thu Sep 25 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1362, Jobs: Korean Comp Ling, Phonology/Phonetics

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:10:57 -0700
From:  Deborah Coughlin <deborahc at MICROSOFT.com>
Subject:  Korean Computational Linguist

2)
Date:  Wed, 24 Sep 1997 13:43:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Barry Schein <schein at rcf.usc.edu>
Subject:  Phonology/Phonetics Positions

Date:  Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:10:57 -0700
From:  Deborah Coughlin <deborahc at MICROSOFT.com>

COMPUTATIONAL LINGUIST for Korean

The NLP Group in Microsoft Research is looking for a computational
lexicographer for Korean.  The position will be located on the Microsoft
central campus in Redmond, Washington, USA.  This is a great opportunity
to work with a dedicated group of researchers who are creating a system
for unrestricted text understanding and generation.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
The lexicographer's primary responsibilities include developing and
maintaining the morphological rules and data for the language, in
accordance with the overall system architecture used by the Microsoft
Research NLP group.

QUALIFICATIONS:
The lexicographer's qualifications should include experience in
linguistic research and online dictionary development, programming
experience, keen interest in lexical issues, and an advanced degree in
linguistics or a closely related discipline.  Native proficiency in
Korean is assumed.  A practical orientation is highly desirable.
Significant programming experience or experience extracting lexical
information from online dictionaries or corpora would be a plus.

ABOUT  THE  MICROSOFT  NLP  RESEARCH GROUP:
We are in the process of designing and building a system to analyze
unrestricted natural language, taking input text, and moving from
lexical/morphological analysis through syntax, semantics, and eventually
pragmatics and discourse.  A generation component is also planned.  The
programming system and underlying principles that are used for English
have been found to be applicable to other languages.  We are empirically
oriented, and are happy to use good linguistic ideas wherever they can
be found.  A reasonable first-version summary of our techniques and some
of our experience can be found in the book "Natural Language Processing:
The PLNLP Approach,"  Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1993.

For more information about the NLP group, connect to our home page on
the World Wide Web.

                   http://www.research.microsoft.com/nlp

CONTACT:   Please send resumes, cover letters, and any additional
materials to:

 	Steven Clyne
 	Human Resources
 	Microsoft Corporation