8.1369, Qs: Tenses, Brill's Tagger, Sign Language

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 27 05:28:07 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1369. Sat Sep 27 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1369, Qs: Tenses, Brill's Tagger, Sign Language

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 27 Aug 1956 21:43:49 +0000
From:  Minako Nakayasu <nakayasu at kwc-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Tenses

2)
Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 97 10:19:30 +0200
From:  Ingeborg Blank <blank at cis.uni-muenchen.de>
Subject:  Brill's Tagger

3)
Date:  Fri, 26 Sep 1997 16:52:40 +0200
From:  Arild Hestvik <arild at vega.ifl.uib.no>
Subject:  Sign Language for Linguists

Date:  Mon, 27 Aug 1956 21:43:49 +0000
From:  Minako Nakayasu <nakayasu at kwc-u.ac.jp>

Dear Linguists:

I posted a list of questions concerning English tense several months
ago and thanked linguists who kindly answered them.  I would like to
ask questions again in order to make my analysis better.  I would be
very happy if you could answer them.  I will post a summary if I have
received enough responses.  Thank you in advance.

Minako Nakayasu
Assistant Professor
Kagoshima Women's College
1904 Uchi
Hayato-cho, Aira-gun, Kagoshima
899-51  Japan
nakayasu at kwc-u.ac.jp

My questions are as follows: In each of the sentences below, the main
clause has the past tense and the complement clause has the
past/present tense.  Which tense would you choose in the complement
clause?  If both of them are OK, *please* give a context in which each
of the tense can be used.
(1) Did you know I am/was allergic to alchohol?
(2) Didn't you know I am/was allergic to alchohol?
(3) Did you know he is/was allergic to alchohol?
(4) Didn't you know he is/was allergic to alchohol?
(5) Did you know I have/had arrived?
(6) Didn't you I have/had arrived?
(7) Did he know I have/had arrived?
(8) Didn't he know I have/had arrived?
(9) Did you know he is/was going out with her?
(10) Didn't you know he is/was going out with her?
(11) I knew you are/were allergic to alchonol.
(12) I didn't know you are/were allergic to alchohol.
(13) I said he is/was going out with her.
(14) I didn't say he is/was going out with her.
(15) I thought he is/was going out with her.
(16) I didn't think he is/was going out with her.