8.1371, FYI: JAIR article, New Programs-U. Melbourne

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 27 05:46:59 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1371. Sat Sep 27 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1371, FYI: JAIR article, New Programs-U. Melbourne

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 97 12:07:03 PDT
From:  Steve Minton <minton at ISI.EDU>
Subject:  JAIR article: Inferring Structure in Sequences

2)
Date:  Fri, 26 Sep 1997 16:38:24 +1000
From:  Dominique Estival <D.Estival at linguistics.unimelb.edu.au>
Subject:  New Programs at the University of Melbourne

Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 97 12:07:03 PDT
From:  Steve Minton <minton at ISI.EDU>

Readers of this mailing list may be intersted in the following article
just published by the Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research
(JAIR):

Nevill-Manning, C.G. and Witten, I.H. (1997) "Identifying Hierarchical
Structure in Sequences: A linear-time algorithm", Volume 7, pages
67-82.

Available in HTML, PDf(106K), Postscript (287K), compressed Postscript
(118K) An online appendix (WWW Interface to SEQUITUR) is also
available.

   For quick access via your WWW browser, use this URL:
     http://www.jair.org/abstracts/nevill97a.html
   More detailed instructions are below.

Abstract: SEQUITUR is an algorithm that infers a hierarchical
structure from a sequence of discrete symbols by replacing repeated
phrases with a grammatical rule that generates the phrase, and
continuing this process recursively. The result is a hierarchical
representation of the original sequence, which offers insights into
its lexical structure. The algorithm is driven by two constraints that
reduce the size of the grammar, and produce structure as a by-product.
SEQUITUR breaks new ground by operating incrementally. Moreover, the
method's simple structure permits a proof that it operates in space
and time that is linear in the size of the input. Our implementation
can process 50,000 symbols per second and has been applied to an
extensive range of real world sequences.

The article is available via:

 -- comp.ai.jair.papers (also see comp.ai.jair.announce)

 -- World Wide Web: The URL for our World Wide Web server is
       http://www.jair.org/
    For direct access to this article and related files try:
       http://www.jair.org/abstracts/nevill97a.html
    A demonstration WWW interface to the system is also available
    (i.e, an online appendix).
    See http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/sequitur

 -- Anonymous FTP from either of the two sites below.

    Carnegie-Mellon University (USA):
ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/project/jair/volume7/nevill97a.ps
    The University of Genoa (Italy):
ftp://ftp.mrg.dist.unige.it/pub/jair/pub/volume7/nevill97a.ps

The compressed PostScript file is named nevill97a.ps.Z (118K) An
online appendix is also available, named nevill97a-appendix.html (1K).

-  automated email. Send mail to jair at cs.cmu.edu or
jair at ftp.mrg.dist.unige.it with the subject AUTORESPOND and our
automailer will respond. To get the Postscript file, use the message
body GET volume7/nevill97a.ps (Note: Your mailer might find this file
too large to handle.)

To obtain the online appendix, use the body GET
volume7/nevill97a-appendix.html
    Only one can file be requested in each message.

For more information about JAIR, visit our WWW or FTP sites, or send
electronic mail to jair at cs.cmu.edu with the subject AUTORESPOND and
the message body HELP, or contact jair-ed at ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov.