8.1389, Qs: Language 'Location' in the Brain

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 30 01:18:24 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1389. Mon Sep 29 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1389, Qs: Language 'Location' in the Brain

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:06:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)
Subject:  Language "Locations" in the Brain

Date:  Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:06:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)

I promised a summary to the list of responses to my request for comments
about the 7/10/97 article in Nature about fMRI research seeming to
demonstrate different brain "locations" for languages in multilinguals,
depending upon age of language acquisition. I'm still promising, but I've
little to summarize. I had many responses, and I thank you for all of them;
however, with they were almost entirely composed of members asking me for
more information. I've now posed the same question to several other lists
and am continuing to pursue the subject on the Neuroscience Web Search; if
I can find out anything useful, I'll post a summary here.

The question isn't trivial. There is some pretty substantial research from
the scholarly literature of psychtherapy that is directly relevant and that
supports the idea of quite different "locations" (using the term loosely,
needless to say) for the different languages of multilingual persons.

Suzette Haden Elgin
ocls at ipa.net