9.511, Sum: Neologisms

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 2 19:36:39 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-511. Thu Apr 2 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.511, Sum: Neologisms

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 2 Apr 1998 06:22:06 -0600 (CST)
From:  Helge Niska <Helge.Niska at tolk.su.se>
Subject:  Strategies for Interpreting Neologisms: Results of Survey

Date:  Thu, 2 Apr 1998 06:22:06 -0600 (CST)
From:  Helge Niska <Helge.Niska at tolk.su.se>

Dear friends and colleagues,

Some time ago I asked for your comments about a number of strategies
for interpreting neologisms. I received well over a dozen replies, and
on the basis of those comments I designed a simple survey (for court
interpreters) to test the validity and frequency of use of these
strategies.  The results of this two-part preliminary study are now
available on my home page at URL <http://lisa.tolk.su.se/reportaa.htm>
The study is part of a more extensive study on creativity in
interpreting; this paper will be available on my home page in due
course--hopefully before mid-summer 1998.

In my compilation of the comments, I have used initials instead of
full names (except when quoting a thread from Lantra-l); I haven't
edited or spell-checked anything (I don't feel competent to do that in
English), so if you have any objections or want me to make corrections
in e.g. your own contribution, please write me.

Since I haven't had time to write to everyone individually, I hereby
thank you one and all for sending comments and answering the
survey. You have been of tremendous help, and the forthcoming paper
could not have been possible without your contributions!  Best
regards, Helge.

- -
<mailto:Helge.Niska at tolk.su.se> <http://lisa.tolk.su.se/defhelge.html>
Institute for Interpretation and Translation Studies
Stockholm University, S-106 91  Stockholm
Tel. +46 8 162000. Fax +46 8 161396
Home phone & fax 08-540 672 43