9.541, Qs: "Ummm",Phonology,Tagalog/Ergativity,Sorbian

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 7 22:51:37 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-541. Tue Apr 7 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.541, Qs: "Ummm",Phonology,Tagalog/Ergativity,Sorbian

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon,  6 Apr 1998 20:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Nathan Inada <norman at fishnet.caltech.edu>
Subject:  "Ummm" and Such Usages ??

2)
Date:  Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:50:28 +0200
From:  "beno" <beno at inetalex.ie-eg.com>
Subject:  CHILD PHONOLOGY DEV.

3)
Date:  Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:17:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:  Maria Sheila Zamar <mzamar at niu.edu>
Subject:  Tagalog-ergativity

4)
Date:  Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:40:13 -0500
From:  "Kyuchul Yoon" <kcyoon at ukans.edu>
Subject:  Need Native Speaker of Sorbian (Wendish)

Date:  Mon,  6 Apr 1998 20:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Nathan Inada <norman at fishnet.caltech.edu>

Is there a term for the use of nonsense noises like "ummm..."  where
the speaker is more or less cluing the audience into the fact that
he/she intends to continue holding onto speakership but is pausing for
a while?

I tried looking around in the glossary on http://www.sil.org and it
seems like it would be one of the "moves" but I did not see anything
that seemed quite right.

Thanks for any help
nathan