9.591, Qs: Philology, Aspect, Passives, Mass Nouns

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 20 23:52:53 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-591. Tue Apr 21 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.591, Qs: Philology, Aspect, Passives, Mass Nouns

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 19 Apr 1998 15:12:31 -0500
From:  "Francis Barry, Jr." <sophoi at sprynet.com>
Subject:  Linguistics and Philology

2)
Date:  Mon, 20 Apr 1998 00:58:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Nobue Mori <nobue at wam.umd.edu>
Subject:  Aspect

3)
Date:  Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:51:52 -0500
From:  ocls at ipa.net (George Elgin, Suzette Haden Elgin)
Subject:  Oil was spilled (agents/patients) continued....

4)
Date:  Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:18:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:  Wen-Chao Li <lixxx112 at tc.umn.edu>
Subject:  Mass Nouns

Date:  Sun, 19 Apr 1998 15:12:31 -0500
From:  "Francis Barry, Jr." <sophoi at sprynet.com>

I have been told in the past that there is a difference between the
approach to comparative language studies in Europe (where, as I
understand it, it's called "philology") and the approach in the U.S.
(where the discipline is known as "linguistics").  Apparently this is
not just a matter of terminology, and the disciplines really do take
divergent paths.  Can anyone elucidate for me what these differences
are and how they would be reflected in courses of study leading to a
degree?
 There was some discussion years ago that I found in the archives, but
it was not specific enough to help those of us
linguists?/philologists?  who are mere amateurs.