9.618, Qs: Obtruent clusters, Word order, Tense marking

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 27 17:20:43 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-618. Mon Apr 27 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.618, Qs: Obtruent clusters, Word order, Tense marking

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:09:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:  fmorelli at wam.umd.edu
Subject:  Obstruent clusters in onsets

2)
Date:  Sun, 26 Apr 1998 14:43:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bingfu <bingfu at usc.edu>
Subject:  Cross-linguistic word order

3)
Date:  Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:15:16 +0100
From:  Annabel Cormack <annabel at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject:  Tense marking

Date:  Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:09:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:  fmorelli at wam.umd.edu

	I am currently investigating certain patterns of occurrence of
obstruent clusters in onset position. I am interested in finding out
whether there are languages that follow one of the following patterns:

	A: Allow only onset sequences of a fricative and a stop. Any
fricative in the language can precede the stop. In other words I am
looking for a language that, unlike English that only allows clusters of
the type 's+STOP, would allow also f+STOP or x+STOP.

	B: Allow onset sequences of a fricative and a stop, or of a
stop and a fricative or of two stops. The fricative in the
fricative-stop sequence can only be a coronal. The language's
inventory contains fricatives at other places of articulation besides
coronal.

	Any information about such patterns is highly appreciated.

	I will post a summary to the list.

	Frida Morelli

			  	     Frida Morelli
				Linguistics Department