9.623, Qs: Italian NP

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 28 01:24:27 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-623. Tue Apr 28 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.623, Qs: Italian NP

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bingfu <bingfu at usc.edu>
Subject:  Italian NP

Date:  Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bingfu <bingfu at usc.edu>

Dear Netters,
	Longogbardi 1994 provides the following
paradigm.
	 	a. 	Il  mio Giani ha finalmente telefonato
		   	the my Gianni finally          called up

	       	b. 	*Mio Gianni ha finalmente telefonato
		      	  my Gianni  finally             called up

	       	c. 	Gianni mio ha finalmente telefonato
		    	Gianni my finally             called up

	       	d. 	Il   Giani  mio ha finalmente telefonato
		    	the Gianni my finally called up

He accounts for the paradigm in formalist terms.
My question is:

1. Is there any functional explanation?

2. Is there any meaning difference among a, c and d,
especially between c and d.

I will incorporate the responses into my final summary
of the query about left-right asymmetries in word order
variation.

	Thanks
	Bingfu Lu
	USC