9.1107, Qs: ASL, Halliday, Phonemic Tables, Accidental Gap

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 6 20:41:57 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1107. Thu Aug 6 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1107, Qs: ASL, Halliday, Phonemic Tables, Accidental Gap

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 3 Aug 1998 18:00:15 +0100 (BST)
From:  "Larry Trask" <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Subject:  ASL

2)
Date:  Mon, 3 Aug 1998 15:52:41 -0000
From:  "jianli" <jianli at guomai.sh.cn>
Subject:  Halliday Works on WWW

3)
Date:  Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:20:29 EDT
From:  Mail4RTodd at aol.com
Subject:  PHONEMIC INVENTORIES/TABLES

4)
Date:  Fri, 07 Aug 1998 07:58:33 +0800
From:  "C. Lin" <cclin at cc.ntnu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Accidental Gap?

Date:  Mon, 3 Aug 1998 18:00:15 +0100 (BST)
From:  "Larry Trask" <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

I'm preparing a second edition of my popular book Language: The
Basics, and I'm putting in some new material on sign languages.
Therefore I want to suggest some suitable further reading.  For
British Sign Language, this is easy, since there are several popular
introductions to BSL available in bookshops over here.  But our
bookshops don't stock works on American Sign Language.  So, can
anybody recommend (with full references, please) one or two fairly
recent popular introductions to ASL?  Thanks.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH