9.1132, Qs: Chinese, Universals, Nominals, Phonemes

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 11 11:54:54 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1132. Tue Aug 11 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1132, Qs: Chinese, Universals, Nominals, Phonemes

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:37:56 +0200
From:  Professor Shu-ing Shyu <shyu at mail.nsysu.edu.tw>
Subject:  Stress of Chinese _dou_ 'all'

2)
Date:  Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:40:57 +0100
From:  Dana Allen <dallen at tgis.co.uk>
Subject:  Language Universals and Typology

3)
Date:  Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:09:01 +0000
From:  moubtassime at fesnet.net.ma
Subject:  Derived Nominals

4)
Date:  Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:13:54 EDT
From:  WOMENinTEC at aol.com
Subject:  Contrastive Analysis

Date:  Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:37:56 +0200
From:  Professor Shu-ing Shyu <shyu at mail.nsysu.edu.tw>

I would like to know if Chinese can distinguish regular _dou_ reading
from _dou_ in _lian...dou_ sentences by using different stresses on
_dou_.

Q1. Do Chinese speakers agree that _dou_ 'all' in _lian...dou_
'including...all' structure is not stressed at all, while regular
quantificational _dou_ is stressed, being pronounced fully, with a
"fullfleged first tone"?  (Can you stress _dou_ in _lian...dou_
sentences?)

Q2. Can you disambiguate (1) by putting different pitches of accents,
as the intended readings in (1a) and (1b)?

(1) Zhangsan zhei-xie shu dou/DOU mai le
        (a) dou: "Zhangsan even bought THESE books.'
        (b) DOU: 'Zhangsan bought all the books."

If there are enough replies, I will post a summary.  Thank you all
very much for your help.

Dr. Shu-ing Ingrid Shyu
Department of Foreign Languages and Literature
National Sun Yat-Sen University
Kaohsiung, Taiwan 804
Republic of China

PHONE: 886-7-525-2000 ext. 3152