9.1166, Qs: American Eng, Translation, Book by Hawkey

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 18 19:08:51 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1166. Tue Aug 18 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1166, Qs: American Eng, Translation, Book by Hawkey

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Review Editor: Andrew Carnie: U. of Arizona <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:46:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Chang-Bong  Lee <cl379 at columbia.edu>
Subject:  Capitalism in American English

2)
Date:  Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:46:02 -0500
From:  "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <geoffn at siu.edu>
Subject:  Translation

3)
Date:  Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:47:52 -0500
From:  "Lyndra S. Givens" <lgivens at tamiu.edu>
Subject:  Seeking Book (Hawkey)

Date:  Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:46:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Chang-Bong  Lee <cl379 at columbia.edu>

 Dear linguists,

 I have been interested in the phenomena of the interaction of
language and culture being a language teacher with a linguistic
background.  I recently have been interested to find as a student of
English as a second language that there are a great deal of
expressions in everyday American English that have captitalistic
roots. I have been able to collect a decent size of these kinds of
data some examples of which are presented as follows.

    I just want to throw my two cents in this discussion.
    I bet you will enjoy it.
    I don't buy that argument for a second.
    The Bulls cashed in on that play.
    You will pay for this. (with the feeling of revenge)
    The bottom line is ---.
    etc.

The above examples are surely culture-specific, and it is impossible
to convey the speaker's intended meaning in discourse context by
making word-by-word translation into another language. For instance,
if I am requested to translate the above sentences into my native
language, Korean, I will have to be content to paraphrase them using
some of my own culture-specific expressions.

My observations at this point are of course at an informal and sketchy
level. I will be very interested to get some feedback from you
linguists about this topic. Specifically, I will appreciate it if you
can provide me with advice on the following questions.

    (1) Do you know of any previous research on this topic?
    (2) Can you think of some more insightful examples of
        this kind as native speaker of American English?
    (3) To make this line of research academically strong,
        what do you suggest me to look at in terms of background
        literature?

Please respond individually to my address below and if there is enough
interest on this topic, I will post a summary.

 Thanks in advance.

 Chang-Bong Lee
 Korean lecturer
 Columbia University