9.1180, FYI: Shoebox 4 release, Piraha website

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 25 09:30:43 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1180. Tue Aug 25 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1180, FYI: Shoebox 4 release, Piraha website

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Review Editor: Andrew Carnie: U. of Arizona <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:58:32 -0500
From:  "Evan L. Antworth" <Evan.Antworth at SIL.ORG>
Subject:  Shoebox 4 released

2)
Date:  Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:20:30 +0000
From:  "Daniel L. Everett" <dever at verb.linguist.pitt.edu>
Subject:  Piraha website

Date:  Wed, 19 Aug 1998 08:58:32 -0500
From:  "Evan L. Antworth" <Evan.Antworth at SIL.ORG>

Shoebox 4 for Windows and Macintosh is now available

Shoebox is a database management program designed especially for use by
field linguists. It is especially good at interlinearizing text and
developing lexicons. It can also be used for cataloging field notes,
anthropological information, and grammatical information.

(1) To download Shoebox via the Web, go here:

     http://www.sil.org/computing/shoebox.html

(2) To obtain Shoebox using a command-line FTP client:

    FTP to ftp.sil.org and log in as anonymous.

    To retrieve the Windows version, do these commands:

        cd  [.software.win]
        binary
        get sh401.exe

    To retrieve the Macintosh version, do these commands:

        cd  [.software.mac]
        get shoebox401.hqx

    or

        cd  [.software.mac]
        binary
        get shoebox401.bin

(3) To obtain Shoebox by e-mail, send a message to mailserv at sil.org
containing these commands:

    To retrieve the Windows version, include this command:

        send  [ftp.software.win]sh401.exe

    To retrieve the Macintosh version, include this command:

        send  [ftp.software.mac]shoebox401.hqx

    or

        send  [ftp.software.mac]shoebox401.bin

- Evan Antworth