9.1710, Qs: Creole classifiers, Chinese resultative, French

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 4 01:29:00 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1710. Fri Dec 4 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1710, Qs: Creole classifiers, Chinese resultative, French

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 02 Dec 1998 20:20:52 PST
From:  "Adam Schembri" <acschembri at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Classifiers in creole languages

2)
Date:  Fri, 4 Dec 1998 10:22:53 +0800
From:  "chen liang" <vanechen at 163.net>
Subject:  Chinese resultative

3)
Date:  Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:25:35 PST
From:  "Mobutu African" <african97 at hotmail.com>
Subject:  French songs

Date:  Wed, 02 Dec 1998 20:20:52 PST
From:  "Adam Schembri" <acschembri at hotmail.com>

Research on creole signed languages, such as ISN in Nicaragua, has
indicated that these languages have a class of polymorphemic verbs of
motion, location and handling which include handshapes morphemes
commonly known as "classifiers" (Senghas, 1994). I've read somewhere
that classifiers are unknown in spoken language creoles, but can't
locate the reference. Can anyone supply a reference for this, or would
any creolists like to comment?

Adam Schembri
Renwick College
Private Bag 29