9.1737, Qs: Chinese r-suffixation, Lexical borrowing

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 8 01:07:53 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1737. Tue Dec 8 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1737, Qs: Chinese r-suffixation, Lexical borrowing

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 5 Dec 1998 23:05:27 +0800
From:  "pan ning" <panning at 163.net>
Subject:  Chinese r_suffixation

2)
Date:  Mon, 07 Dec 1998 15:41:10
From:  <nourgalal at usa.net>
Subject:  Lexical borrowing

Date:  Sat, 5 Dec 1998 23:05:27 +0800
From:  "pan ning" <panning at 163.net>

Dear Linguists:

I'm doing research on the r-suffix in Yichang (a mandarin dialect),and
need references on r-suffixation of any Chinese languages. Yichang
r-suffix cause rhyme changes, which are different from that in
Mandarin. One particular phenomenon is -r is mainly suffixed to
duplicated monosyllabic word. It seems duplication of a monosyllabic
word triggers r-suffixation. Does this phenomenon exist in any other
languages or dialects? Your help will be highly appreciated.
I'll post a summary if I get enough feedback.

    Yours sincerely
     Pan Ning