9.1752, FYI: Training, Lang. & Gender, Multimedia Forum

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 10 03:33:45 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1752. Thu Dec 10 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1752, FYI: Training, Lang. & Gender, Multimedia Forum

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:00:07 -1000 (HST)
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  Training in Ergo's NLP for other languages

2)
Date:  Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:59:55 -0500
From:  Mary Bucholtz <bucholtz at tamu.edu>
Subject:  Oxford Studies in Language and Gender

3)
Date:  Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:34:49 -0500
From:  [** iso-8859-1 charset **] H\233l\232neKnoerr <hknoerr at uottawa.ca>
Subject:  Second Multimedia Forum

Date:  Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:00:07 -1000 (HST)
From:  "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich at hawaii.edu>

In order to spur the development of the Ergo Natural Language
Processing (NLP) tools for other languages we are seeking individuals,
departments, and companies who would like to have training to create
patented NLP tools like those of Ergo in other languages. We are
currently not offering any funding for this, but we would be willing
to be partners in such developments with other companies.  We would
also be willing to serve as consultants as the parsers are developed
for other languages.  We estimate that it will require from 18 to 24
months of work for 2 or 3 individuals to extend the Ergo tools to
another language.  Derek Bickerton and myself will both be available
for the training and consultation.

The tools that we have developed offer improvements in Navigation and
Control, Dialoging, and Web and Database searching through enhanced
grammatical analysis.  Demos of the technology are available at
http://www.ergo-ling.com .  A more detailed discussion of the sorts of
abilities that will be possible is presented at the VRML Consortium
Web site as standards for the development of NLP tools for animations
(http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/NLP-ANIM).

We recently won the Best Technology award at the VSMM '98 Multi Media
and Virtual Reality conference in Japan.

The languages we would most like to do first are Spanish, German,
Russian, and Japanese.  Though we will work with whatever languages
serious researchers would like to work with.

Our main requirement is that these be serious inquiries only and we
would like to establish that the individuals or groups who would like
this training are capable of completing the project.  Please respond
privately to the numbers below.

Phil Bralich

Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D.
President and CEO