9.1784, TOC: Intern. Journal of the Sociology of Languages

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 15 16:36:06 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1784. Tue Dec 15 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1784, TOC: Intern. Journal of the Sociology of Languages

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scott at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:29:21 +0100 (MET)
From:  Christoph Eyrich <eyrich at zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:  Intern. Journal of the Sociology of Language (IJSL) 132 (1998)

Date:  Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:29:21 +0100 (MET)
From:  Christoph Eyrich <eyrich at zedat.fu-berlin.de>

         INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIOLOGY OF LANGUAGE
	                   Issue 132 (1998)

         Indigenous Language Use and Change in the Americas
           Edited by Teresa L. McCarty and Ofelia Zepeda

		Mouton de Gruyter * Berlin * New York

Teresa L. McCarty and
Ofelia Zepeda, ............... Introduction

PART 1. INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES IN THE USA

Lucille J. Watahomigie, ...... The native language is a gift: a
                               Hualapai language autobiography

Michael Krauss, .............. The condition of Native North American
                               languages: the need for realistic
                               assessment and action

Galena Sells Dick, ........... I maintained a strong belief in my
                               language and culture: a Navajo language
                               autobiography

Teresa L. McCarty, ........... Schooling, resistance, and American
                               Indian languages

Daniel Lopez (recorded and edited
by Ofelia Zepeda), ........... The parents have to do their part: a
                               Tohono O'odham language autobiography

Ofelia Zepeda, ............... Voices in the desert: contemporary approaches
                               to language maintenance and survival of an
                               ancient language, Tohono O'odham

Mary Linn, Marcellino Berardo and
Akira Y. Yamamoto, ........... Our language and us: why we switched to
                               English---a conversation between two
                               Euchee speakers

Mary Linn, Marcellino Berardo and
Akira Y. Yamamoto, ........... Creating language teams in Oklahoma Native
                               American communities

Agnes Vera, .................. Why have I not forgotten my language?
                               A Yowlumne language autobiography

Leanne Hinton, ............... Language loss and revitalization in
                               California: overview

Christine P. Sims, ........... Community-based efforts to preserve
                               native languages: a descriptive study of
                               the Karuk Tribe of northern California

Iokepa Maka`ai, James Kaleiokalani Shintani, Jr.,
Jason Cabral and Kelithoalani Kamana Wilson (translated by
William H. Wilson), .......... Four Hawaiian language autobiographies

William H. Wilson, ........... I ka `olelo Hawai`i ke ola, `Life is
                               found in the Hawaiian language'

PART 2. INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES IN MEXICO AND LATIN AMERICA

Salome Gutierrez Morales, .... Lengua y pensamento: autobiografia de la
                               lengua popoluca

Salomon Nahmad Sitton, ....... Derechos linguisticos de los pueblos
                               indigenas de Mexico

Francisco Marquez de Santa Barbara (translated by
Jane H. Hill), ............... All that is lost: a Mexican language
                               autobiography

Jane H. Hill, ................ Don Francisco Marquez survives: a
                               meditation on monolingualism

Leonzo Knight Julian, ........ If our language is lost, we are going to be
                               nothing: an Ulwa language autobiography

Thomas Green and Kenneth Hale, Ulwa, the language of Karawala, eastern
                               Nicaragua: its position and prospects in
                               modern Nicaragua

BOOK REVIEWS

Jerry Lipka, ................. Stabilizing Indigenous Languages, edited
                               by Gina Cantoni

Nancy H. Hornberger, ......... Flutes of Fire: Essays on California Indian
                               Languages, by Leanne Hinton

Mouton de Gruyter                         Walter de Gruyter, Inc.
Postfach 30 34 21                         200 Saw Mill River Road
D-10728 Berlin                            Hawthorne, NY 10532
Germany                                   USA
Fax:   +49 (0)30 26005-351                Fax: +1 914 747-1326
email: mouton at degruyter.de

Publications by de Gruyter can also be ordered via World Wide Web:
                      http://www.deGruyter.com