9.1792, Qs: Language/dialect, Consonant cluster, Light verb

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 16 10:25:30 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1792. Wed Dec 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1792, Qs: Language/dialect, Consonant cluster, Light verb

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:41:59 GMT
From:  "Alison Henry" <AM.Henry at ulst.ac.uk>
Subject:  The difference between a language and a dialect

2)
Date:  Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:39:01 +0100
From:  ghazali salem <ghazali at irsit.rnrt.tn>
Subject:  Consonant clusters

3)
Date:  Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:58:37 +0800
From:  "chen liang" <vanechen at 163.net>
Subject:  Light verb

Date:  Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:41:59 GMT
From:  "Alison Henry" <AM.Henry at ulst.ac.uk>

Of course, we all know that there is no clear linguistic way to define
whether something is a language or a dialect of another language, and
that these terms are simply convenient descriptive fictions. However,
in the real world, it is becoming important to be able to make this
distinction. For example, the European Union's 'European Charter for
Regional or Minority Languages' requires national governments to
declare, on signing the charter, what are the minority languages
spoken in their territories; dialects of the national language(s) are
explicitly excluded. Similarly, some European Union funding is
restricted to minority languages, to the exclusion of dialects. Has
anyone any views on how to decide, for real world purposes, whether
something is a language? I'd be particularly interested to hear from
anyone who has been involved in discussions on the status of a
language variety, in an EU context or outside.

Alison Henry