9.1807, FYI: Help a colleague, ELF annual meeting

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 18 15:11:06 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1807. Fri Dec 18 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1807, FYI: Help a colleague, ELF annual meeting

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:21:12 GMT+1
From:  "Magdalena Smoczynska" <ULSMOCZY at Vela.filg.uj.edu.pl>
Subject:  Help a colleague--Natasha Gagarina

2)
Date:  Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:13:26 -0500
From:  whalen at lenny.haskins.yale.edu
Subject:  Endangered Language Fund Annual Meeting

Date:  Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:21:12 GMT+1
From:  "Magdalena Smoczynska" <ULSMOCZY at Vela.filg.uj.edu.pl>

THIS IS IN RELATION TO MY CALL SENT TO LINGUIST List:
Vol-9-1660. Sun Nov 22 1998.
Subject: 9.1660, FYI: Help a colleague--Natasha Gagarina

I am sending an update on the matter which was circulated
on info-childes on Dec., 8, 1998
plus a report by Barbara Zurer Pearson
sent to info-childes few days later
Magdalena Smoczynska

Dear Colleagues!

I am happy to give you some very good news about Anton Gagarin. Few
days ago, after the most recent bone marrow test was performed the
doctors have declared that the child is in remission. They will
continue the chemotherapy for quite a long time to make sure that all
the bad cells are killed, but they are rather optimistic.  For the
time being they do not think that a bone marrow transplantation would
be necessary, but of course this can change.

Another good news is that the insurance company by which Natasha is
insured agreed to take over the costs of Anton's treatment. This means
that WE STOP THE ACTION OF COLLECTING MONEY.  We hope we would not
have to start it again.  Whatever money is left from what has been
collected so far will be kept to be used for Anton in case some extra
need arises or to cover his further treatment next year, after his
German insurance expires.

I want to tell you that the donations you made, whether large or
small, were of crucial importance and have contributed to secure the
financing of Anton's treatment at this extremely difficult
transitional stage. I think that we really helped this little lad to
have a better chance to live. We also supported our colleague who was
having a very difficult time.

God bless you all!

I would like to especially thank those of you who acted as local
organizers of help actions and who spent their time to help Anton. To
give you just a few names: Wolfgang Dressler, Sabine Klamfper, Sylvia
Moesmueller from Vienna, Austria; Giuseppe Capelli from Pisa, Italy;
Ann Lindvall from Lund, Sweden; Camilla Wide from Helsinki, Finland;
Kirsten Meyer Bjerkan from Oslo, Norway; Barbara Zurer Pearson from
Amherst (U. Massachusetts) US; Wayles E. Browne from Ithaca (Cornell
U.), US...  There are other people whose help was really crucial at
different stages of the entire help action: without Wolfgang Dressler,
Wolfgang Klein and Dagmar Bittner all this could not be organized. I
am afraid I still forgot somebody...

Some of these people are Natasha's personal friends and
colleagues. But some of them NEVER MET HER (like Barbara Pearson!)
They are to be admired and thanked for their generosity and
solidarity. Many other people not only made donations but looked for
information, contacted organizations and so on... Thank you all!
Barbara Pearson will circulate her report about money collection in
America.

Those of you who forwarded my appeal for help to other lists and
groups of people or made your own appeals, please make other people
know these good news and call off the action of money collection.

Natasha's and Anton's photos are on my home page

     http://www.filg.uj.edu.pl/~ulsmoczy/

(The text still has to be modified in relation to the current situation.)

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!

                  Magdalena Smoczynska

Appended is the list of people who have contacted me about Anton,
money donations etc. since the last circular was posted