9.1815, Qs: Feature organization, email, Distance learning

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 22 02:42:43 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1815. Tue Dec 22 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1815, Qs: Feature organization, email, Distance learning

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  21 Dec 1998 21:36:58 -0000
From:  ressy at 163.net
Subject:  Feature organization

2)
Date:  Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:11:56 +0800
From:  "Yang ning" <yang.n at ynmail.com>
Subject:  John Taylor' email or mail address

3)
Date:  Mon, 21 Dec 1998 00:01:09 -0600
From:  "Basil (Darin) Arrick" <basila at mail.txk.net>
Subject:  Linguistics via distance learning

Date:  21 Dec 1998 21:36:58 -0000
From:  ressy at 163.net

Dear Linguists,

Traditionally, the point is that anything below the level of
catogories is just a bag of features. It seems that it does not matter
whether these features can be organized linearly or hierarchically. My
proposal is that at least formal features of categories can be
organized hierarchically so that they can be mapped to the syntactic
structure in which the categories might occupy. Would anybody who
shares the same view with me please write to me to further this
advocation?  Also in constructing such a hierarchy, I find that I have
to make a hypothesis that one parameter can be made within another
one (e.g. one feature within another feature). Can this P-within-P
sound? I need your suggestions or references to complete this idea.

Thank you all for your attention.
Ressy Ai