9.1830, Qs: British/American English, Language learning

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 23 01:21:02 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1830. Wed Dec 23 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1830, Qs: British/American English, Language learning

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Home Page:  http://linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Jody Huellmantel <jody at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:18:48 -0800 (PST)
From:  Tomoko Takahashi <ahirusan4575 at yahoo.com>
Subject:  The expression of British English and American English

2)
Date:  Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:31:15 EST
From:  AJDeFaz at aol.com
Subject:  Second language learning

Date:  Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:18:48 -0800 (PST)
From:  Tomoko Takahashi <ahirusan4575 at yahoo.com>

I'm studying about the British English(BE) and American English(AE).
I have some questions about it.  Could you please help my study?

This list is BE and AE.
BE--biscuits, chips, maize, bill, tube, lift, cinema and toilet.
AE-crackers&cookies, French fries, corn, check, subway, elevator,
movie theater and restroom.

1. Can BE speakers understand in AE? Also, Can AE speakers understand
   in BE?

2. What percentage of these words are used in conversation of each
   countries?

3. Do AE speakers use in conversation in British English?

4. Is it difficult to communicate with each other because of the
   difference of expression?