No subject

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 2 23:18:45 UTC 1998

Subject: 9.145, FYI: Lang & Gesture (URLs), NLP Download (U. Hawaii)

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:30:55 +0000
From:  Robin Allott <RMAllott at percep.demon.co.uk>
Subject:  MOTOR BASIS OF LANGUAGE AND GESTURE

2)
Date:  Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:24:06 -1000
From:  Anne Sing <annes at htdc.org>
Subject:  NLP DOWNLOAD PROBLEM

Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:30:55 +0000
From:  Robin Allott <RMAllott at percep.demon.co.uk>

The recent paper in Nature by Goldin-Meadow and Mylander on
spontaneous sign language of children in Taiwan and the United States
taken with the remarkable work of Kegl and McWhorter on the gesture
language invented by children in Nicaragua provide convincing
observational evidence for the innate relation between gesture and
language, and indeed more generally for the biological origin of
language systems. This material can be related to increasing evidence
for the fundamental importance of sound symbolism in very many
languages.

More specifically, they support the hypothesis that language evolved
as an exaptation of the previously existing complex cerebral motor
control system and that the effects of the motor origin of language
can be observed and demonstrated in the lexicon and syntax of
languages generally. To the general investigation of the motor theory
of language origin at

http: //www.percep.demon.co.uk

has now been added extensive demonstration of the direct relation
between gesture and language in the form of animated gestural
equivalents of a considerable number of words in English, Japanese,
French (with more cursory treatment of Hebrew, Korean, Finnish,
Hungarian and Basque). To see the animations on the Web it is
necessary to have uptodate versions of Microsoft Explorer or Netscape
(but not necessarily Java). The animations can be seen at:

http://www.percep.demon.co.uk/mappfol.htm

and at pages linked to that.

I hope that it will be possible to find time during the April London
Conference on the Evolution of Language to present the complete
material.

Robin Allott   email: RMAllott at percep.demon.co.uk
               http://www.percep.demon.co.uk
               tel/fax: +44 1323 492300