9.155, Sum: Women's Language

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 3 00:27:03 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-155. Tue Feb 3 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.155, Sum: Women's Language

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: James German <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:15:02 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Sum: women's language

Date:  Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:15:02 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>

Dear all,

	I posted a query on women's language about a month and half
ago, on behalf of my student who is working on her graduation paper.
I received 31 responses. The original query and the summary/comments
are the following:

(i)Please choose the best expressions between the two/three phrases
below. Which do you use off-handedly, in everyday conversation? If
possible, I'd like to know if you are male or female.  Please check *
mark from which you choose. If you have any comments, please don't
hesitate to male them.
   (1) Which do you use off-handedly, in everyday conversation ?
   A. I have two tickets for the movie "Air Force One". Do you
have time on Saturday ?
   B. Yes, I'd ( love / like ) to.
      love to  15 ( Male:4 Female:9 ?:2 )
      like to   3 ( M;1 F;2 $B!K(B
      either    4 ( M;4 )
      neither   2 ( M;1 F;1 )
   (2) a.  Everyone has ( his / his or her / their) off days.
          his      2 ( M:1 F:1 )
          her      1 ( F:1 )
        his/her    4 ( M:1 F:3 )
         their    19 ( M:9 F:8 ?:2 )
               These includes multipile answers.
      b.  Someone knocked at the door but ( he / he or she / they )
had gone when I got downstairs.
          he      2 ( M:1 F:1 )
         she      1 ( F:1 )
        he/she    3 ( M:1 F:2 )
         they    19 ( M:9 F:8 ?:2 )

     The results of question (1) show that most of respondents who
chose "would love to" was women. But male respondents also chose
"would love to." Considering that all respondents who chose either are
men, it is impossible to think that "would love to" is exclusively for
women..

 The followings are some of the comments from them: