9.164, FYI: Nameserver, ELRA, Gender across language

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 4 15:51:22 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-164. Wed Feb 4 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.164, FYI: Nameserver, ELRA, Gender across language

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 4 Feb 1998 09:57:07 +0100
From:  Norval Smith <Norval.Smith at let.uva.nl>
Subject:  Linguists' Nameserver

2)
Date:  Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:01:37 +0100 (MET)
From:  info-elra at calva.net (Valerie Mapelli)
Subject:  ELRA - VALIDATION MANUALS

3)
Date:  Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:28:04 +0000
From:  "Hadumod Bussmann" <Hadumod.Bussmann at lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
Subject:  Gender across languages

Date:  Wed, 4 Feb 1998 09:57:07 +0100
From:  Norval Smith <Norval.Smith at let.uva.nl>

Dear Fellow Linguists,

I have decided to phase out the Linguists' Nameserver which I have run from
here for the last I don't know how many years for a number of reasons:

a) Linguist with its register of linguists will more than take over the
minimal function performed by the nameserver

b) There are new methods of findind out e-mail addresses - the LSA members'
list prints them for instance.

c) The WorldWideWeb offers several ways of finding addresses: the various
search engines, the various University Web Pages, and so on.

d) Less use was being made of this resource.

e) Basically I don't have the time to maintain it properly any more.

The problem that existed at the beginning of the nineties, that hardly
anyone knew what anyone else's e-mail address was does not exist any more.

For the time being it will still be possible to consult the Nameserver at
linguist at hum.uva.nl or linguists at hum.uva.nl (NB New Address!!) but there is
already a considerable amount of "noise" in the database and this will
rapidly increase, limiting the reliability of whatever results one gets.

Norval Smith