9.170, Qs: Breast/Milk,NLP,Irrealis Modality,Byzantine Voc

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 4 18:34:42 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-170. Wed Feb 4 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.170, Qs: Breast/Milk,NLP,Irrealis Modality,Byzantine Voc

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 1 Feb 1998 15:56:24 +0700 (BKK)
From:  Krisadawan Hongladarom <artfkhl at chulkn.car.chula.ac.th>
Subject:  The Words for Breast/Milk

2)
Date:  Sat, 31 Jan 1998 09:58:16 -1000
From:  Anne Sing <annes at htdc.org>
Subject:  NLP Software

3)
Date:  Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:43:58 +1100
From:  C.Bowern at Student.anu.edu.au (Claire Bowern)
Subject:  Irrealis Modality

4)
Date:  Tue, 03 Feb 1998 22:38:20 +0000
From:  tata <tata at polydata.ru>
Subject:  Byzantine Architecture Vocabulary

Date:  Sun, 1 Feb 1998 15:56:24 +0700 (BKK)
From:  Krisadawan Hongladarom <artfkhl at chulkn.car.chula.ac.th>

Dear Colleagues,

The word for breast and milk in many Southeast Asian languages are
often related etymologically. For example, in Thai nom(32) is breast,
and nam(45)nom(32) 'water breast' is milk. The same situation is for
Written Tibetan, though I'm not very sure if the word for breast is
correct.  Homa is milk, and Ho-Hdod 'milk desire(?)' is breast. (H is
a voiced glottal fricative). In Rgyalthang, another variety of Khams
Tibetan spoken in Yunnan (PRC), the word for milk is nei (231), which
obviously came from nei(231)po(51) 'breast'. However, Rgyalthang also
distinguishes between nei(231) 'breast milk' and wui(231) 'cow milk'.

I'm wondering if the languages you speak or are familiar with have the
same etymon for the words breast and milk and if the word for breast
milk is the same as cow milk.

I'll post the summary to the list. Thank you for your contribution.

Dr. Krisadawan Hongladarom
Department of Linguistics
Faculty of Arts
Chulalongkorn University