9.187, Books: Language Instinct

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 7 15:35:38 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-187. Sat Feb 7 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.187, Books: Language Instinct

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers are
available at the end of this issue.

Date:  Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:51:45 -0500
From:  Joanne Coen <106664.1047 at compuserve.com>
Subject:  Language Instinct

Date:  Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:51:45 -0500
From:  Joanne Coen <106664.1047 at compuserve.com>

ISBN: 0 304 33908 3,
Are we creatures who learn new things? Or does human mental development
consist of awakening  structures of thought? A view has gained ground -
powerfully advocated, for example, by Stephen Pinker's book The Language
Instinct - that language in much of its detail is hard wired in our genes.
Others add that this holds too much of the specific knowledge and
understanding expressed in language. When the first human Eve evolved from
pre-human apes (it is claimed), her biological inheritance comprised not
just a distinctive anatomy but a rich structure of cognition.
Despite the impressive roll of converts that these ideas have gained, there
is no good reason to believe them. Pinker's and other's arguments depend on
earlier and more technical contributions, by writers such as Noam Chomsky.
Many readers take these foundations on trust, not realising how weak they
are. This book examines the various arguments for instinctive knowledge,
and finds that each one rests on false premises or embodies a logical
fallacy. A different picture of learning is suggested by Karl Popper's
account of knowledge growing through 'conjectures and refutations'. The
facts of human language are best explained by taking language acquisition
to be a case of Popperian learning. Eve was not born a know-all. She was
born knowing nothing, but able to learn anything. That is why we can find
ways to think and talk about a world that goes on changing today.
Geoffrey Sampson is a Reader in Computer Science and Artifical Intelligence
at the Unibersity of Essex, UK.

This book is priced  45 pounds and is available at any good bookshop or in
case of difficulty contact Cassell on 01202 665432.
Thanks very much
Joanne Coen, Cassell

            Publisher's backlists

The following contributing LINGUIST publishers have made their
backlists available on the World Wide Web:

1998 Contributors:

Edinburgh University Press
	http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/
Holland Academic Graphics (HAG)
	http://www.hag.nl
Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc.
	http://www.erlbaum.com/inform.htm

1997 Contributors:

Blackwells:
	http://linguistlist.org/pubs/blackwell.html
Cascadilla Press:
	http://www.cascadilla.com/
Cornell University Linguistics Dept:
	http://linguistlist.org/pubs/cornell.html
CSLI Publications:
	http://csli-www.stanford.edu/publications/
Holland Academic Graphics (HAG)
	http://www.hag.nl
Irvine Linguistics Students Association:
	http://www.socsci.uci.edu/ling/ilsa/ilsahp.html
John Benjamins:
	http://www.benjamins.nl
	OR
	http://www.benjamins.com
Kluwer Academic Publishers:
	http://kapis.www.wkap.nl/kapis/CGI-BIN/WORLD/hierarchy.htm?H+0+
	0+0+NOTHING+COMBINED
Lawrence Erlbaum:
	http://www.erlbaum.com/inform.htm
MIT Working papers in Linguistics:
	http://broca.mit.edu/mitwpl.web/WPLs.html
Mouton de Gruyter
	http://www.deGruyter.de
U. of Massachusetts Graduate Linguistics Association:
	http://linguistlist.org/pubs/glsa.html
Oxford UP
	http://www.oup.co.uk/
Pacific Linguistics: